Trinity Episcopal Church on the Green, New Haven, Connecticut

Formed in 1723, the parish of Trinity Episcopal Church on the Green is known for having a major influence on introducing the notion of the separation of church and state to the colonies. Trinity’s current structure, completed in 1816 by architect Ithiel Town, is the first Gothic Revival Style church built in North America. With its towering gilded columns, red and green interior palette, and remarkable stained glass windows, its ornamental design reaffirms its historical associations with the Church of England.

Thomaston Bapstist Church, Thomaston, Maine

Founded in 1816, the Thomaston Baptist Church met for nearly twenty years at a temporary site until its current home in downtown Thomaston was constructed in 1837. Originally built in the Greek Revival style, the structure assimilated the styles of the time combining Gothic Revival and Victorian influences when it was fully renovated in 1879. Illuminating its bright, spartan interior, the stained glass windows were generously funded by a prominent local family during the renovation when funds fell short. In 1992, lightning tragically damaged the Church’s steeple. The altruism of the community once again emerged when money to replace the steeple was raised by all religious groups within Thomaston—upholding the philanthropic spirit of its community’s past.

St. Saviour’s Episcopal Parish, Bar Harbor, Maine

St. Saviour’s Episcopal Parish rests on Mount Desert Island in a village originally incorporated as the Town of Eden by Samuel Adams in 1796 until its Bar Harbor name change in 1918. Built in a Gothic Revival and Queen Anne style, the structure is renowned for its ten Louis Comfort Tiffany designed stained glass windows and additional 43 memorial windows; each thoughtfully paying tribute to loved ones, saints and local figures who have touched the lives of its members.

The Episcopal Church of Saint John Baptist, Thomaston, Maine

The perseverance of the Episcopal Church of Saint John Baptist is mirrored by the resilience of its austere 1868 Carpenter Gothic style structure. Despite falling into disrepair in the 1950s and encountering financial hardships, its parishioners mended the building in the 1960s, exemplifying the church’s ability to weather adversity and return to its original splendor.