North Church of Portsmouth, Portsmouth, New Hampshire

Formally organized in 1671 as “The Church of Christ in Portsmouth”, North Church of Portsmouth’s roots can be traced back to 1638 when the first public worship in town was held. The structure, located on Market Square, was completed in 1855. Seen from most parts of the city, the steeple, as well as the building’s edifice, is constructed in the Italianate style, which references 16th-century Italian Renaissance architecture. North Church has a notable list of members and visitors, which includes: General William Whipple, who signed the Declaration of Independence, John Langdon, signer of the U.S. Constitution and President George Washington. With this in mind, it is not surprising to read that the church’s mission states in-part, “We the members of the North Congregational Church family, a loving and compassionate people of faith, gathered to worship God, accept our responsibility to seek justice for all God’s people.”

The First Congregational Church of Camden, Maine

Despite setbacks in its early years when assignment of a regular minister was intermittent, the parish of the First Congregational Church of Camden, Maine, which is the oldest church in town, continues to persevere more than two hundred years after its founding in 1805. Built in 1834 and later renovated in 1870 in the Italianate style, the structure’s interior architecture is reserved yet amiable, creating a place for unity and introspection. Quoted from the forward of the church’s 1905 Centennial booklet, “This church has been a benediction to the town. It has pointed the way to God and heaven to three generations. …The town of Camden is a better town for what this church has been and still is…”